Tuesday, July 26, 2005

51st Birthday Review: Lifetime of Current Events

Water Dissolves Water: Birthday in Pascagoula: "But today's big story (at least for me), is it's my birthday. Fifty one big ones.

So just how old am I? Let's put it this way - I was four months old when the first Air Force One was inaugurated for President Eisenhower. I was born the same year as the Interstate Highway System, the polio vaccine, the four-minute mile and the Newport Jazz Festival. I was born the year of Brown v Board of Education, and the year before Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus. I was born the year after Mt. Everest was first successfully climbed.

I was also born along with, and grew up besides, rock 'n' roll. I was alive when Elvis Presley recorded 'That's All Right, Mama' and Ray Charles recorded 'I Got a Woman.'"


This is a fascinating account of what's happened to musicians and other celebrities in America in the course of this man's life so far. Good reading and a unique gift to himself and us.

No comments: