Monday, August 29, 2005

Celebrating A Twentieth Birthday with Egyptians in Pajamas!

digging for mummies and other fun stuff: two decades?: "two decades?

It's strange for me to think that I have now lived two decades on this earth. It seems like such a long time. I suppose it is a long time. I never expected I would spend my twentieth birthday with an Egyptian family. I actually started the day out with the best part. I went to the internet cafe and got to talk to my bonnie lass, who I hadn't spoken to since her flight down under. After that I went to church with a group of students from my program. I again thoroughly enjoyed the incredible diversity at the church and it is always a blessing, or 'breath of fresh air,' to be able to go there and worship with these people. After church, my roommate Josiah was kind enough to buy my lunch as a birthday present. We went to our usual after church restaurant called Spectra where they have some incredible 'Brownies on Ice'. After a late lunch I returned to my homestay with Barrett. We spent a lot of the evening getting help with our arabic homework from the nieces and nephews of our host. And then, somehow, Barrett and I found ourselves watching Titanic (in English with Arabic subtitles) with 5 Egyptian women. It was actually Nasser's (our host) sister in law, her three daughters and one of her nieces. It was quite an experience. Lets just say I never expected to spend my birthday watching J"


File this under "It's Amazing What Life Hands a Person." Who could predict a fellow would spend his birthday watching the Titanic in English with Arabic subtitles while surrounded by five Egyptian girls in their pajamas?

No comments: