Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Two Birthday Stories With Great Charm!

DenverPost.com Bloghouse » Birthday story: "Birthday story
Photo by Julie Soulen / Colorado Journal
So, I was sitting on the front step, doing nothing in particular,
when Julie appeared on the road, just cresting the steep hill
about a quarter mile away. Now, this was not unexpected
since she had left on her morning walk a half hour
or so before. Also, just as expected, Dude the Dog
could be seen trotting along beside her, his tail
a golden banner in the early sun.

No, the scene was as I have witnessed it
countless times before on those days
when I am too tired or too lazy to accompany
them on that two-mile trek. What was unusual
was the sight of a big, white balloon
floating above her head. And it followed her
all the way up the road, through the gate
and right up to the steps where I was sitting.

“Happy birthday!” she smiled, and handed me her prize.

“You shouldn’t have,” I responded, accepting the gift
and watching it bob about playfully in the breeze.

“Well, to be honest, I didn’t. I found it. It was stuck in a tree over on Pete’s Road. Isn’t it a hoot!? Some little girl let it go way down in town and it sailed all the way up here and I found it!”

She was actually beaming."


There's more to this story, then goes into another story. Both are charming birthday stories well worth your time. Check it out.

No comments: