Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Carrot Cake Birthday

"WHEN BLOGS ATTACK!": "K. also got me a light pen, for when I’m watching a movie in the theater, and want to take notes. Finally, when we got back to the family compound in Sheepshead Bay, she made me a carrot cake. Not some wussy, Betty Crocker, pre-packaged carrot cake, either. A cake from scratch, recipe taken from The Dessert Bible! K. will probably tell you that we split the labor between us fifty-fifty, but I think that’s generous. I merely mixed dry ingredients, while she did all the tough stuff.

After enjoying the moist, dense, cream cheese-frosted carrot cake, we heard explosions in the distance. Glancing out the nearby window, we saw fireworks bursting in mid-air from the direction of Coney Island. Since my birthday falls somewhat adjacent to that of our great country, fireworks were hardly a surprise. Still, to see them so close… We climbed up to the roof of the house, K. set a towel over the warm tar, and we enjoyed the free incendiaries. Man, were we exhausted by the end of the evening. Thank goodness birthdays only come once a year…"



That carrot cake sounds lovely to me!

No comments: